Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thankfulness

I don't say thank you enough. It is one of those things that I just don't express enough. I don't think that I am sharing any great undiscovered truth when I say that there is a huge difference between not being a thankful person and being a person that doesn't say thanks enough. But the problem is that while we know the difference within ourself, those we interact with have no idea what is going on inside. Yes they might be able to pick up the cues we give off through our behavior but to be honest it seems like a lot to leave to chance.

What happens for me is that while I am thankful I don't think to express that to those that I am thankful to. And that robs that person from understanding just how much they have affected my life. It can also have an effect on me as well. I have noticed that when I forget to express my thankfulness that I can start falling into the trap of not realizing my thankfulness. That leads to not being a thankful person. It is somewhat akin to muscle atrophy. When we don't use our muscles they end up withering away. 

One person that i know that I do not express my thankfulness to enough is God. Tonight we have our Thanksgiving eve service at church. It is a time that we are setting aside for us to specifically express our thanks to God for the things that he has provided for us. It is also something that we should do more often.

While I am thankful for all of the things that God has provided–I have a place to live, food to eat and many luxuries of life–but the thing that I am most thankful for is the life that God has given me. He has given me life here and now on this earth. But more importantly it is through the sacrifice that Jesus was willing to pay on the cross that I have been given eternal life. It is that second life that I am most thankful for. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment